Frequently Asked Questions
Have a question?
What if the person I send a form to doesn’t have a touch screen?
Can I print or download forms?
What if I want the form to be used with different details for different clients?
How do you know what fields are what on my forms?
You can even set up common business form templates of the same document – so you might have different versions of a form saved to cater for the various versions of your service. Or you can just choose to set up the form for each individual client, each time.
Why do some local Formaliti consultants charge for their time?
Formaliti has a network of accredited resellers that may be referred to you. They are free to charge for any consulting work they provide you but cannot affect the published prices for Formaliti. In any IT related project there are almost always costs associated with the project that exceed the cost of the software itself. In the case of getting an e-signature solution up and running you may have to look at:
- Form and workflow design
- Project management depending on the size of the rollout
We advise all Formaliti clients to follow their standard procurement processes when purchasing anything related to the Formaliti service.
How does the per-user monthly billing work?
What happens to my data if I unsubscribe?
Why do you charge to author and setup the account?
Is there a contract or minimum term I need to sign up to?
Legal and Security
What is an electronic signature?
An electronic signature (also known as an e-signature) is a simple, easy and legal way to get consent or approval on documents or forms online or on an electronic device.
Courts in various jurisdictions have decided that enforceable electronic signatures can include signing electronic documents online.
An electronic signature is “a signature that consists of one or more letters, characters, numbers or other symbols in digital form incorporated in, attached to or associated with an electronic document.”
A secure electronic signature is as an electronic signature that:
- is unique to the person making the signature
- the technology or process used to make the signature is under the sole control of the person making the signature
- the technology or process can be used to identify the person using the technology or process, and
- the electronic signature can be linked with an electronic document in such a way that it can be used to determine whether the electronic document has been changed since the electronic signature was incorporated in, attached to or associated with the electronic document.
The most popular method for gathering and managing electronic signatures uses people’s email addresses to identify each participant and associate them with a sequence of events that demonstrates intent to sign.
Where are electronic signatures legal?
Are there any legal precedents set for acceptance of electronic signatures?
Can I rely on the information attached to the signed document?
What is a digital signature is it different to an electronic signature?
Are electronic signatures enough or should I use digital signatures?
Are electronic signatures better than paper or fax signatures (sometimes referred to as ‘wet signatures’ or ‘originals’)?
Electronic signatures can be seen to be better than ‘wet’ signatures for several reasons.
- They are more secure than faxes or the post due to the email login and password required and unique link to the documents.
- They are typically faster and cheaper to administer than paper-based signatures. Most frauds or document security breaches happen through hard copies rather than digital copies.
- As a soft copy document that runs over several pages is a single file, a signature applies to the entire document. On a paper document that has more than one page, the signature is only applied to a single page and unsigned pages could be changed or substituted without anyone’s knowledge. With Formaliti, if one change is made to any part of the document before it is finalised the signature is cleared from the document so that it must be signed again.
- Digital documents can’t be duplicated with a copier or scanner. It is relatively easy to forge a paper signature by copying it, scanning it, or tracing it with a pen. With Formaliti, a signature can only occur on the document that has been sent for signing. Each document must be signed independently so copying signatures from one document to another is not possible.
- Can’t be pre or post-dated. With Formaliti, the date of signing is locked to the current date. Paper forms allow any date to be entered by the signer
How do I know if the person signing is who they say they are?
How do you store my data?
What happens to the signature if I need to resend a form after it has been signed?
Can I author my own documents?
Formaliti is a turnkey solution. When you use it for the first time all of your forms have been authored for you. Changes to forms will need to be sent to us for authoring and Formaliti has very competitive and reasonable rates and fast turnaround times to undertake this work.
Can I keep my forms and branding on them?
What if I want to change a form?
Can you design new forms for me?
What is authoring?
Formaliti has trained authors who digitise your documents so that you don’t have to learn how to – a fact that we found held many small to medium sized businesses from adopting e-signature solutions.